We all take electricity for granted, but did you know electrical malfunctions are one of the top causes of home fires? In our continuing focus on Fire Prevention Week, today we’ll talk about electrical safety in your home and how you can prevent fires from starting.

We all take electricity for granted, but did you know electrical malfunctions are one of the top causes of home fires? In our continuing focus on Fire Prevention Week, today we’ll talk about electrical safety in your home and how you can prevent fires from starting.

To help reduce your risk of an electrical fire, the National Fire Protection Safety Association (NFPA) and Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) recommend that you have all electrical work in your home performed by a licensed electrician or contractor licensed to do the installation – such as installing an HVAC system, installing a washer and dryer, or installing new kitchen lighting.

Here are some additional tips to help prevent electrical fires:

  • Avoid the use of space heaters, if at all possible.
  • Do not run electrical cords across doorways, under rugs or under upholstered furniture.
  • Avoid the use of extension cords. Consider having a licensed electrician add more electrical outlets as needed. Never run an extension cord under a carpet or across a doorway.
  • Use light bulbs that match the required wattage for lights and light fixtures. Check the sticker on the lamp or light fixture for specifics on the maximum wattage allowed.
  • Dispose of any frayed electrical cords. DO NOT USE THEM!
  • Make sure appliances such as vacuum cleaners are in the OFF position before plugging them in.
  • Major appliances (refrigerator, stove, washer, dryer) should always be plugged directly into a wall outlet, and should never operate with an extension cord.
  • Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical outlet when it has become a shock hazard. You should have GFCIs in the bathroom, kitchen, garage, basement and any outdoor outlet.

Call a Licensed Electrician if:

  • You keep blowing fuses or tripping breakers
  • You get a tingling sensation when touching an electrical appliance
  • Wall outlets are warm or discolored
  • An appliance smells like it is burning
  • Your lights keep flickering
  • You see sparks at an outlet or light switch

At Climatemp, your comfort is our first priority. We install and repair air conditioning and heating systems throughout the Mobile AL and Baldwin County area including Spanish Fort, Daphne, Fairhope, Gulf Shores and Orange Beach areas. All of our technicians are licensed and certified, in order to provide you with safe installation and repairs. If you want to schedule a safety check or air conditioning repair, call us at 251-968-6006 today, or use our contact form and someone will get back to you shortly.

Leave a Reply

Previous Post

Air Conditioning Safety

Next Post

Heating Safety